Dr Asahel Clapp Marker & House
Dr. Clapp came to New Albany in 1818 from Vermont. He married Joel Scribner’s daughter, Mary. He built a two-story brick structure next to the Scribner House on Main street. Today this structure houses the Boomtown Kitchen Restaurant. This is the oldest brick building in New Albany. In addition to being a doctor Asahel Clapp is recognized as a botanist, geologist and meteorologist. Dr. Clapp helped to organize the first volunteer fire department in New Albany and was its chief. He owned a drug store and took part in local elections of city officials. He helped to form the Indiana Medical Society in 1820 and was its second president.